Friday, June 24, 2011

A Different Type of Friday Freebie

Nina from The Adventures ArtsyNina has graciously agreed to let Living on Less show off the cool DIY cookbook shelf she made for FREE! Thank you so much, Ms. Nina!!

Nina is living in and remodeling a house built in 1884. Her blog is a mix of recipes, house remodeling and general life. She has a vintage cookbook collection and actually cooks with those recipes. She is a very funny vintage loving gal. Be sure to check out her blog.

Pallet Kitchen Cookbook Shelf

Pallet madness is everywhere. The final 'I must make a pallet something' straw was after reading Little Lucy Lu and seeing her Pinterest board.

Hmm... I could make a pallet head board, or a pallet table, or a pallet...SHELF!

We have three pallets leftover from the roof shingle deliveries last year. Tom was just about to burn them. Nooo!!! No I cried!

I measured. Tom took pictures.


Tom has a hobby of taking Nina Butt pics

I visited the county hazardous waste facility for some FREE supplies. I wasn't sure what finish I would give the shelf, so took a few things. And took pictures.



I cut. I sanded. I painted. And took pictures.



Tom and Jack had fun with water. I appreciated the toddler distraction while I got my major craft on.



It turned out better than I had hoped! One of the free cans was a gloss red latex paint. I diluted it with water and applied it with a rag so that it looked more like a stain. I love the look of it, but it doesn't fit nearly as many cookbooks as I had hoped! I might have to make another one.




Total project cost: ZERO. Oh yah baby!



A Mommy's Sweet Blog Design Friday Blog Hop

6 comments:

  1. What a creative idea!
    Hi, I'm a new GFC follower from the Friday Blog Hop. I'd love it if you would follow me. Thanks!

    Traci
    http://istinkatcouponing.dyndns-blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping over from Java's Follow Friday. Love your shelf! Your husband and mine must have gone to the same school of photography! He likes to take those shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina thank you so much for filling in for me today, I LOVE this project, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures. Everything is looking good. I sure need a handy man to do some work at my home. I'm following from Follow Friday. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Zero-to-very little cost projects/finds are akin to Utopia to me...very well done and Kudos to you. This is my 1st visit to your blog which encountered from Googling cookbook shelves. I own a bulging cookbook collection, inherited partially from my late mother-in-law- dearest who also loved cooking/baking up all types of dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Following you from Over 40 GFC hop! Hope you'll follow back :) www.savingbythesea.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, but due to spamming I have had to turn on the word verification again. Sorry for the extra step.