Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday's learn and earn...

~WORD OF THE DAY~

cloud-cuckoo-land ~ noun

DEFINITION: a realm of fantasy or of whimsical or foolish behavior

EXAMPLES: If the boss really thinks he can up productivity and increase profit after the company is downsized, he is living in cloud-cuckoo-land.

"I vastly prefer to live in my own cloud cuckoo land. Anything else sends me into such depression that I can't get out of bed in the morning and the only thing that cheers me up is Mum's ginger biscuits." -- From Elizabeth George's 2010 novel This Body of Death

DID YOU KNOW? In Aristophanes' 5th century B.C. comedy The Birds, Peisthetaerus (a human) convinces the king of the birds and his followers to help him build an ideal city juxtaposed between heaven and earth. They plan to intercept all of the sacrifices rising from the earth to the gods on Olympus, thereby starving the gods into cooperating with them. The newly built city is dubbed "Nephelokokkygia," (from "nephos," meaning "cloud," and "kokkyx," the native European cuckoo). By the late 19th century, English speakers had translated the town's name as "Cloud-Cuckoo-Land" and had begun using it as a general term for any similarly unreal or whimsical place or situation. These days, "cloud-cuckoo-land" makes occasional appearances in U.S. contexts but is far more common in British use.


~THE REBATE~

Scotch-Brite is offering a free tote bag with the purchase of two of their new Greener Clean Natural Fiber Sponge.  All you need to do is mail in the two UPCs off the packages together with the completed rebate form.  The offer expires 6/30/11 and there is a limit of one bag per household.  There is also a printable coupon for $1.00 off above the rebate form for an even better deal.

I hope you are all having a great week so far.

C.Q.




3 comments:

  1. I too prefer to live in my own cloud-cuckoo-land. Its nice here. People know me here. *lol*

    Ohhhh free tote bag with purchase? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha. That was the best word-of-the-day I've seen yet!

    And I am DEFINITELY getting that tote bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I found you from the blog hop. You can follow me too at:


    Dallas Single Mom Examiner!
    Facebook!
    Twitter!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, but due to spamming I have had to turn on the word verification again. Sorry for the extra step.