Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday's learn and earn...

~WORD OF THE DAY~

foment  \FOH-ment\  ~ verb

DEFINITION: to promote the growth or development of : rouse, incite

EXAMPLES: He has been accused of fomenting violence, but he denies the claim and insists that he and his followers will only engage in peaceful means of protest.

"As it has in past years, PJFF31 will also feature a New Filmmakers Weekend (March 17-19) and offer a Documentaries & Dialogue slate (Jan. 9-Feb. 6) designed to foment debate, discussion, and discourse." -- From an article by Steven Rea in The Philadelphia Inquirer, November 4, 2011

DID YOU KNOW? If you had sore muscles in the 1600s, your doctor might have advised you to foment the injury, perhaps with heated lotions or warm wax. Does this sound like an odd prescription? Not if you know that "foment" traces to the Latin verb "fovēre," which means "to heat." The earliest documented English uses of "foment" appear in medical texts offering advice on how to soothe various aches and pains by the application of moist heat. But the idea of applying heat can also be a metaphor for stimulating or rousing to action. Within 50 years of its English debut, "foment" was also being used in political contexts to mean "to stir up," "to call to action," or, in a sense at least figuratively opposite to its original one, "to irritate."


~THE REBATE~

This is a great rebate for anyone that has someone who loves fishing in their life.  Rapala is offering a free knife case with the purchase of their Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife.  The offer is good from January 1, 2012 until September 9, 2012.  Just got to the rebate web page and download the rebate form.  You will need to mail in the original dated cash register reciept together with the UPC from the package with the form.  All requests need to be mailed by 9/30/2012, allow up to 8 weeks to get your case.
I hope you are all having a great week!
C.Q.

Random Deals

5 comments:

  1. Love...Wednesday's learn and earn! I am a new follower from Welcome Wednesdays blog hop. I look forward to learning and earning more through your blog and hope to share some of it with my followers. I would love the follow back.

    Katie - Saving and Sharing It
    http://www.savingandsharingit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I always learn something great when I visit.

    Happy seeing beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing! It is so important that we keep on learning and I think what you are doing is wonderful! I am a new follower from Welcom Wednesday and I look forward to learning more from your blog!

    Erika My Road to Savings
    http://myroadtosavings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool thing to do each week. I love learning new vocab and random trivia.

    I'm a new fb follower from the smokiestyle hop. You can find me on fb at My Baby Sleep Guide

    Thanks,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm now following you from the Wednesday Blog Hop! Feel free to follow back at www.dandygiveaway.com :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, but due to spamming I have had to turn on the word verification again. Sorry for the extra step.