Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday's media madness...


This last weekend I was chatting with my nieces and nephews and was kind of surprised to find out that whats old is new in music still. I had thought it was just a phase that the kids were liking swing and jazz but it seems to have stuck. Don't get me wrong, they still like the new stuff as well, but even that has its nods to the past. While we were talking my husband chimed in that he found a band her really likes on XM Radio that he had never heard before called Volbeat. The kids had never heard of them either so I wanted to hear a little bit of what they sounded like. So to sum up the sound of the band, ummm well, lets see, they are, old rock, a little country, a little TV theme song sounding, a little heavy metal, a little....well you get the idea. Every song has a slightly different sound to it, depending on what the band is trying to get across to the listener, and yet they do have their own distinct sound.

This doesn't happen often, but I have to agree with my hubby, I really like this band (must be the eclectic in me). Volbeat is from Copenhagen and got together in 2001, not surprisingly their inspirations come from Metallica, Social Distortion, Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash. They currently have 4 albums out, The Strength / The Sound / The Songs (2005-2006), Rock the Rebel / Metal the Devil (2007), Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood (2008-2009). They have a new album called Touring and Beyond Hell/Above Heaven that is set to be released on September 10, 2010. In keeping with the old is new theme the band has even released some of their albums as, well, albums. You can find the vinyl versions with relative ease at Amazon.

If you are interested in the most recent album on the market, Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood you can listen to samples and download individual songs from Amazon or iTunes for $0.99 each or $9.99 for them all, or you can purchase the album CD for $12.12 with free shipping at Movie Mars. If you prefer the old school version of a vinyl record you can find it for $13.08 through a few Amazon sellers. You can also find a copy on eBay, although when I checked I was not able to find one as low as the new copy from Movie Mars.

I hope you are all having a great weekend!

C.Q.

1 comment:

  1. I think this sounds neat. We are always looking for new things to listen too. I think that we will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, but due to spamming I have had to turn on the word verification again. Sorry for the extra step.